Wednesday 25 December 2013

Christmas teppanyaki


Merry Christmas everyone! Okay now that being said get ready to hear my boring Christmas dinner story. The tradition in my family has always been that on the first day of Christmas we would go to my grandmother´s and gourmet or teppanyaki some stuff with the family, all together. That´s mostly the reason why I love Christmas so much, these family gatherings. On the second day we would spend at home or at friends. A few years ago the second day would be spend together with my father’s family, but fuck him. Some dads are good at parenthood and others are just not. This year however we have spent the first day at my mother´s best friend and her boyfriend's and son's house, who was my best friend two years ago. Then some shit went down and now we have just started talking to each other. It was kind of awkward at first, as in okay can I just please die right now on sight or something, because we have to celebrate every holiday and birthday party together as his mother and my mother are best friends. So today I was at their house, last year they were at our house, as well on new year´s eve and this year we celebrate everything at their house. The constant awkwardness between him and me aside it was an absolutely awesome evening. My mother, sister and me arrived around four or five and we talked till around six or seven and ate till nine. Then him, my sister and me went upstairs and played GTA 5 for two straight hours!  That was kind of awesome. Him and me were both sort of recovering from the night before. Let´s count...one bottle of wine,  a quarter of drop shot, more whine, whiskey and beer...yeah He drank the other quarter of drop shot and an entire bottle of amaretto and some beer, also some whiskey I think..Anyway be were both wasted as fuck but felt fine as shit. I honestly didn’t feel drunk or something.

Usually when I am drunk I feel dizzy and very impulsive. I would blabber on about random stuff. With good friends, or people you have never met before you would sit down, or sag down and share some really deep shit, never acquaintances though, than it's just weird because you already know them and would have to face them the next morning. Last night I felt..normal. Nothing else really. No weird stuff flying out of my mouth, no falling over or stepping on invisible wire. I was actually quite proud of myself! We started drinking at around four so at around nine we were pretty much done for. There were also these workastayers. A workastayer is  someone who works to stay in the hostel. They were these Brazilian guys who begged to date me, but my mother was there and she had something to drink as well and just said NO!  I forgot to mention that we were having a dinner party at my old job, my mother´s and his mother's current job. They do the cleaning business. I used to do that too, as well as reception and breakfast service so I still knew the boss and his father which was really nice. 

It is a hostel/hotel and the guy who runs it was also my boss in the old restaurant where I used to work as a kitchen aid. The hostel is directly on top of the old restaurant. Sadly that went bankrupt so there's a new restaurant there. I used to work there too but eventually quit because of the new fuckface boss. We had a disagreement about the working hours and amount of work I had to do. He was just an asshole really. His loss really! I'm fabulous. I am the most epic kitchen aid of awesomeness you will ever come in contact with, hallelujah! After that shit face I began working, again as a kitchen aid, at a lunchroom only 200 meters away. the business partner of the guy who owns the business also had a café across from the restaurant and hostel, that went bankrupt as well sadly. I decided to take a break from the lunchroom work and focus on my studies so as of a week ago I am unemployed. Not that my grades are failing, it’s just because I could do better if I would focus more. I'm actually happy to not have to work anymore!

Back to the Christmas dinner. Like the years before we had the griddle thingy on the table and just dropped on whatever we wanted to eat. I prefer it to normal meals, mainly because you can just keep eating without feeling embarrassed. If you would have a normal plate with pre-scooped food on it, it would look a bit odd to have a second helping, or a third... a fourth. I was whatsapping a friend of mine. We Always sent each other pictures of what we are doing and he was also doing the griddle thing! But it’s really weird, we have these weird things in common. Like his grandmother's house, its EXACTLY the same as my grandmother's house right down to the water faucet! 

It seems that griddling is becoming more and more popular at Christmas. Yay! It really is just awesome! What else can I say?

Yours faithfully,

 Claire Quiem    

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment